In education, the term transition typically refers to the move students take from their primary school to secondary school. We fully understand this major transition can be daunting for some students so ensuring we have a comprehensive Transition Programme in place is our priority for any new students choosing Carisbrooke College as their secondary school.
While every student is different, they all go through the same changes:
- School facilities – a much larger building, often located further away from home.
- Academic expectations – a more independent learning approach must be adopted.
- Lesson timetable – changing classrooms multiple times a day for different lessons.
- Different teachers – experiencing different teachers for different lessons.
- Increased independence – become more self-reliant, students will be expected to become more organised and to meet deadlines by planning ahead.
- Peer groups – meeting new people from a much larger cohort of students.
- Family involvement – decreases as students become older.
Our transition supports all of the changes a student goes through:
- School facilities – during our two day transition students will familiarise themselves with our school building using a map of our building.
- Academic expectations – students will experience a taster of various subjects. There is also a Summer-Bridge Programme available for students to feel prepared for the new subjects they will have in the September.
- Lesson timetables – students are given a timetable to cover the two transition days and this will be the same layout as they will get in the September so they can become familiar with the layout and moving from classroom to classroom.
- Different teachers – during the transition days students will meet lots of different teachers.
- Increased independence – students learn how to be more independent during the transition days as they learn how our school operates.
- Peer groups – students will be encouraged to make new friends through various team building activities during the transition days.
- Family involvement – our information evening planned during the evening of the first transition day will provide families with relevant information about our various ways of communication keeping families involved in their child’s education.