Skip to main content

Duke of Edinburgh Silver Expedition

On the first day, the students set off from the Brockenhurst station and headed out into the wilderness of the New Forest. They were immediately faced with unforeseen route closures but the students used their navigational skills to find their way to the first checkpoint and were pleased to discover that they were making good time. However, as they continued on their journey, the weather became even more challenging and the students had to work harder to stay on course.

As the day progressed, the students faced several difficult obstacles. At one point, they even got a little lost, but they quickly regrouped and found their way back on track. Finally, after a long and gruelling day, the students arrived at the camping site where they would spend the night. Despite the challenging conditions, the students were in high spirits, and they enjoyed a well-deserved rest.

Over the past two weeks, 18 students from across the federation have been completing their Silver Duke of Edinburgh Expedition section. This all started on the 15th and 16th June where the students put their skills to the test on the Isle of Wight. The weather was glorious sunshine with students having to navigate around Brighstone forest and camped at Calbourne Watermill. Good navigation prevailed as all the students successfully put their navigation skills to good use preventing them from getting lost.

After their successful practice the students were then taken to the New Forest for their final expedition. A new environment to get lost in but the students were up for the challenge.

The second day of the expedition was no less challenging than the first. The students set off early in the morning and continued their journey. The weather had not improved, and the students were once again battling the sun. Around lunchtime, the student took a rest in the shade to avoid the baking midday sun on the Beaulieu heathland. However, they remained focused and determined, and they were able to navigate their way back to camp.

The final day saw all the students up at 5:30 am ready and raring to race to the ferry. Thankfully on this day the sun’s relenting gaze had been broken by the light cloud cover allowing for a cooler and much more pleasant temperature. After several hours of trekking, the students arrived at the ferry with aching shoulders, legs and feet but proud of what they had achieved.

Overall, the Duke of Edinburgh expedition was a fantastic experience for all involved. The students learned valuable skills such as navigation, teamwork, and perseverance. They also had the opportunity to challenge themselves physically and mentally and to experience the beauty and wonder of the great outdoors. We are incredibly proud of all the students who participated in this expedition. We would like to thank Mr Jager and Mrs O’Callaghan for their help on this expedition and we look forward to having more adventures in the future.